[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Packaging (Was: Naming convention)

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Packaging (Was: Naming convention)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:49:43 +0200

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 01:05:09PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > And I'm actually not sure that your entry is correct
> > because /etc/mime.types has
> >
> >   image/x-ms-bmp                                  bmp
>
> How can the GNUmed entry not be correct ?   That entry came
> from *use* of the system. Some tool returned image/x-bmp as
> the mime type of some file (which surely was a bitmap).

Can you find out which actual tool reported this?  As I said your mime
definition looks more than a workaround of some broken tool which should
be fixed at the source of the problem.

> Debian couldn't handle that mime type

I'm no expert in mime types but I suspect that either the application is
wrong providing image/x-bmp or etc/mime.types is wrong with
image/x-ms-bmp.  IMHO we should fix the problem where it is broken to
let other applications prfit from the fix as well.

> (no matter whether
> that's a purists-agreed-on mimetype or not - doctors were
> unable to view a document).

Which should be fixed, yes.

> Hence GNUmed built in some
> minimal support to help Debian do the right thing (by
> providing a file extension and getting the viewer from the
> mime system for that extension).
>
> You don't think I'll write code when there is no need, do you ?

I don't think that you have some fun to spend you time on this stuff,
no.  But I would like to achieve that other people do not have to do
the same things as well.  So I think I'll bring up this discussion on
debian-devel to let experts have a word.

> > Are you sure that you are using the right mimetype definition.
>
> I am not using any definition. I am using what is given to
> me by tools installed on a Debian system.

Which one?  I'd need to know this to ask a reasonable question.

> I don't get what's so problematic about this.

Something is wrong.  Either the tool you are using which provides the
mime tyoe or the mime.types definition.  No application (be it GNUmed or
something else) should be forced to fix this - it should work out of the
box.  If a Debian maintainer sees things like this and does not try to
investigate into the problem Debian would become a bunch of workarounds
which we try to avoid.  It is not a problem from the GNUmed perspective -
from Debian it is.

I tried to seek

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/

for bmp and it turned out that this mime type is not officially
specified.  So I wonder on what basis /etc/mime.typesdefined
image/x-ms-bmp instead of just using image/x-bmp as "the tool" you was
using.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--