Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab sheet of 3rd party software

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab sheet of 3rd party software
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:16:38 -0800

On 2009-12-01, at 2:32 PM, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

(in inverted order)

> I am used to reading results with the oldest on the left and the newest on
> the
> right.

I must use two systems, each different at the hospitals where I work!

> A means of setting this for individuals would be good, as I can't imagine
> that
> one way is right and one way is wrong.

I agree this would be very helpful in the case where it will allow the sequence
(let -> or right-> left) to be familiar and or consistent with what the prior
or concurrent vendor arbitrarily chose.

Assuming that the type name of the test is in the left-most column, there are
advantages to placing the most recent result immediately next to the test name.
Even when one would abstract away the reference range as Karsten has done by
internalizing the range into the tooltip or into the edit detail, the user has
less distance to visually travel. This can of course be helped by colored
banding or section dividers but is still a thought.

One enhancement would be to help the user to know how long ago was the most
recent test result for a test whose result cannot be seen on the screen. The
very fact that a test type name shows up in the grid is presumably evidence of
a result among the results fetched. However, the user cannot easily know how
long ago the test was done and therefore how far to the right they would have
to scroll to bring it into view.

Is it
- agreed desirable
- known or known whether technically do-able
to interpose, next to the test type name, a column that says "Most recent" and
within this column would be given the date when the test was most recently done?