Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab sheet of 3rd party software

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab sheet of 3rd party software
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:34:54 +0100

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 06:16:38PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> > I am used to reading results with the oldest on the left and the newest on
> > the
> > right.
>
> I must use two systems, each different at the hospitals where I work!
>
> > A means of setting this for individuals would be good, as I can't imagine
> > that
> > one way is right and one way is wrong.
>
> I agree this would be very helpful in the case where it will allow the
> sequence (let -> or right-> left) to be familiar and or consistent with what
> the prior or concurrent vendor arbitrarily chose.

That is a good todo item.

> Assuming that the type name of the test is in the
> left-most column, there are advantages to placing the most
> recent result immediately next to the test name.
I agree.

> Even when
> one would abstract away the reference range as Karsten has
> done by internalizing the range into the tooltip or into the
> edit detail, the user has less distance to visually travel.
Regardless of the screen real estate advantage - it would
not even be *clinically sound* at all to show the range in
the row label because each and every cell of results show in
that row can have its very own and quite different range
information !

> One enhancement would be to help the user to know how long
> ago was the most recent test result for a test whose result
> cannot be seen on the screen. The very fact that a test type
> name shows up in the grid is presumably evidence of a result
> among the results fetched.

It is.

> However, the user cannot easily
> know how long ago the test was done and therefore how far to
> the right they would have to scroll to bring it into view.

We now show the most recent result in the row label tooltip ;-)

> Is it
> - agreed desirable

Not IMO.

> - known or known whether technically do-able
> to interpose, next to the test type name, a column that
> says "Most recent" and within this column would be given the
> date when the test was most recently done?

Technically it is doable.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346