Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: how to implement "coding"

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: how to implement "coding"
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:08:06 -0800

On 2009-12-02, at 12:40 AM, Jim Busser wrote:

> As to the main question on coding in the GUI, a few initial thoughts:

also...

if attaching codes could be likened to a task that may not always be done, then
the task could be helped by adding functionality that would either filter the
EMR tree / problem list (or would provide a popup window, within which is a
grid) that would show only the items that had not yet had any codes attached.

Even while inputing the detail of one or more codes might be important to add
inside the item details (for example the episode and health issue edit window)
one might even wonder if there would be value to a distinct coding widget
though it would borrow some of the functionality of things like the EMR tree
and notes editor problem list. I am a bit hesitant to suggest it, on account if
changes are made to the EMR tree and notes editor problem list the maintenance
would get tedious.

I am alos thinking there can exist more than one code per item even inside a
single classification system, let alone across them. Thus I am not sure whether
a link table should link each health issue to a separate table per coding
system, or whether the linking should be done in a single link table as coded
pairs

        ICD10:<value>
        READ:<value>
        SNOMED:<value>

and I am also conscious that these systems can have "versions" so this also
needs to be kept in mind.