Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: how to implement "coding"

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinician input wanted: how to implement "coding"
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:17:08 +1100

On Friday 04 December 2009 08:42:55 you wrote:

A couple of comments Karsten.

I think coding is very useful and should be enforced in many situations such
as with health issues, otherwise you've no means to trawl your database for
information for example pulling out all diabetes with a certain disease, as
there are multiple different language terms for the diagnosis. Enforcing its
use is not an encumberance on the user if it is done sensibly.

The advantage of displaying a code is to inform the user that in fact
something is coded - so for those doctors to whom coding/research is
important, they know they have entered a coded term even if they don't need to
know what it is.

If you set up your DB correctly so that all health issues diagnoses are in
fact coded diagnoses, and in addition allow user-added-terms, then it it not
too much of a problem.

I personally use a combination of icpc2Plus ( an australianised version of
icpc from WHO, combined with ICD10, which I can switch on/off at will as per
the picture.

All dignoses are coded - but the actually health issue term can be a
descriptive free text, which then becomes linked to the code.

Not sure if this is on-thread or not because I've only just been skimming
these.

Feel free to post this to the list.

Regards

Richard