gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] status on gnuspeech work

From: eric . zoerner
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] status on gnuspeech work
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:39:21 -0700

I would to inform the gnuspeech group of a couple of items.

My TCD email account will be expiring soon, as I am no longer at Trinity.
Please change my email address on the gnuspeech mailing list.
My new email address is address@hidden

I am currently working on the port of PrEditor from NEXTstep to Mac OS X. While progress has been slow, I am finally finding more time to work on it. The source code I am using for the basis of the port is the "ForbesPrEditor" which is an enhancement of PrEditor by Michael Forbes to support two different file formats (one used to be proprietary but is no longer, the other was used only by PrEditor).

The following version notes summarizes some of the changes I am making to the PrEditor application for the Mac version:

 * Ported from NEXTstep to Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
* Use of C strings, structs, and Foundation classes (such as NXHashTable)
 * changed to use Objective-C Application Kit classes
 * (NSString, NSDictionary, etc.).
 *
* As part of multilingual support, a move to use IPA and SAMPA-X notation for * postures is in progress throughout gnuspeech. This version of PrEditor offers * the use of these two notations in addition to the legacy notation ("Trillium")
 * to the user. Support for Websters notation has been eliminated.
 *
 * The keyboard widget was totally removed, favoring the use of the
* Keyboard Viewer built into OS X combined with the use of an IPA Keyboard * layout. When the current notation is set to IPA in the Preferences pane, then * when the focus goes into the Phone text field, an IPA Keyboard layout is * automatically made active, and when focus leaves, the previous keybord layout * is restored. An IPA Keyboard layout is packaged with PrEditor, but any * keyboard layout whose name starts with the prefix "IPA" will be used by
 * PrEditor when in IPA mode.

So far my work has focused on the GUI and file manipulation. I have not yet attempted speech synthesis from within PrEditor.

I would like to check-in my work-in-progress to the gnuspeech CVS repository, so I will check with David to make sure I have the necessary permissions and to deal with any CVS issues.

Eric Zoerner