gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] Monet manual vs. gnustep Monet

From: Paul Tyson
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] Monet manual vs. gnustep Monet
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:19:36 -0500

What started as an attempt to correct a few HTML formatting issues in the Monet manual turned into a conversion of the manual to Docbook xml.  I also took the opportunity to merge the separate documents for adding postures and rules into the main manual.  I created several thumbnail images that were missing from svn.  These are not the best quality, since I just scaled down the full-size images, and I am not a graphics expert.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the manual in shape is to help me study the gnustep Monet application, but right off I find discrepancies between the the manual and the application.  As I understand it: 1) the manual describes the NeXT version of the application; 2) several changes were made in porting to OS X; and 3) possibly other changes were made in the gnustep version.

My question is, can I take the existing gnustep Monet application as the desired state?  If so, I can modify the manual to match the current state of the application.  There are some windows that appear to be design improvements over the screenshots in the manual, but I don't want to assume anything without guidance from experts in the group.

In other words, would I go too far wrong by updating the manual to replace existing screenshots with new ones from the current gnustep Monet application (and updating the descriptions to match)?

I have no way of knowing how gnustep Monet diverges from the OS X version.  It would be possible to tag the variants in the manual, so that you could either produce platform-specific versions of the manual, or a combined version with the platform-specific differences identified.

For some examples, starting with the main menu, the left picture below is from the gnustep application, the right picture is from the Monet manual.

Regards,
--Paul