[Gomp-discuss] Release candidate

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Release candidate
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:38:31 +0200

Hi All - sorry for not being able to provide updates during the last week. I
was dealing with the autostuff and caught in autohell, as usual. Now
I have a tarball that should compile when dropped into $srcdir, but before
committing the patch I need a cross-check. So below is the procedure I have
followed (wich, due to my lack of experience with gcc-cvs is likely not to be
the most appropriate):

a) check out a fresh version of the gomp branch
cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/gcc -z 9 update -P -rgomp-branch gcc
b) cd gcc
c) tar xvzf libgomp.tar.gz
d) cd ..
e) mv gcc src
f) src/configure --enable-languages=c
g) make bootstrap

The bootstrap succeeded on a i686 Debian 3.0.

If the procedure works without errors for someone else, I could probably
submit libgomp as a patch. Comments about the conformity of coding style with
gcc standard are also very much appreciated. For a list of things in which
someone could help please see the TODO file (which is largely incomplete and
just deal with this current rudimentary stage). To to pressing family
committents (my second son is expected in mid November) I will disappear for
an unquantifiable period of time, so it would be nice if someone could do
some little work on the sources in the meanwhile. The OpenMP standard is
pretty much self-explicative, so there should not be much doubt on what it is
needed in the runtime part of the library. We could start with the POSIX
implementation of it, for instance.

Another blocking issue can be the copyright: Diego and Jacob, any news from
that front?

I hope to hear constructive and (why not) destructive comments very soon
(even better if all come with patches and solutions :-))

Cheers
Biagio

P.S.: The tarball is called libgomp.tar.gz and can be downloaded from
http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~lucini/GOMP

Biagio Lucini
Institut Fuer Theoretische Physik
ETH Hoenggerberg