goptical

Re: [Goptical] Intensity mode

From: Alexandre Becoulet
Subject: Re: [Goptical] Intensity mode
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:37:53 +0100

On Monday 18 February 2013 15:15:17 Richard Graham wrote:

Hi,

> I am trying to work out the intensities in my system and have some
> confusion about the status of the intensity calculations. From the
> documentation it seems that while taking into account polarizations is
> not yet supported, without polarization should be, which is ok for me.

It is supported, see OpticalSurface::trace_ray_intensity in the
sys_optical_surface.cc source file.

> But when I do:
>
> tracer.get_params().set_intensity_mode(Trace::IntensityMode(Trace::Intensity
> Trace)); tracer.trace();
>
> I get a goptical error "what():  data set doesn't contains enough data".

You need to add transmitance data to your material first:

http://www.gnu.org/software/goptical/manual/Material_Dielectric_class_reference.html#__624

> When I do a spot analysis I see that the intensities are always whole
> numbers -- it seems like it is just counting intersecting rays rather
> than actually working out the intensities. I don't see anywhere in the
> code where the IntensityTrace mode is used.

It is used in sys_surface.cc to select a call to the trace_ray_intensity
virtual function.

> Are the reflection coefficents (such as worked out from Fresnel
> equations) actually calculated anywhere?

Yes they are, see in material_base.cc. Please check the formula is ok for you
and let me know.

Best,

--
Alexandre