goptical

Re: [Goptical] Intensity mode

From: Alexandre Becoulet
Subject: Re: [Goptical] Intensity mode
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:38:15 +0100

On Monday, February 18, 2013 05:16:25 PM Richard Graham wrote:

Hi,

> I tried adding transmittance data for my wavelength to each of the
> materials I am using, though I still get the "doesn't contains enough
> data" error. I checked that the data was going into the transmittance
> data set.

Many interpolation methods are available. Most need 2 or 4 values in the data
set. You just need to add your value for multiple wavelens or change the
interpolator.

> In any case, I am not sure if the calculated intensities would be
> sufficient for me. In my case I am not to concerned about the internal
> transmittance losses of the materials which are negligible. I am
> concerned about the reflection losses which vary with angle of
> incidence. In material_base, I see only functions for finding the
> transmittance at normal incidence. Should I expect the losses to vary
> properly with angle of incidence, or is this not implemented?

It's not implemented, I plan to add this feature with polarization ray
tracing. You probably don't need to change the material class to add the
feature you need to the OpticalSurface class. The material classes should
provide enough information to do the computation externally so that it doesn't
need to know about the angle. If you don't need to account for polarization, a
change of the intensity computation in OpticalSurface::trace_ray_intensity
function should be enough.

--
Alexandre