gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3

From: Oliver Jowett
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:16:12 +0100

On 24 April 2016 at 06:29, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

1. why does it work for me on Pi2/Wheezy, but not Eric on Pi3/Jessie.

I don't have a real PPS source on hand but configuring a dummy pps-gpio on my Pi 3 running Jessie here, I get an 0600 /dev/pps0 here.

Given that Eric was seeing EPERM on the open (and he had /dev/pps0 0644) I think it must be that root is getting dropped too early. Eric could confirm that by making /dev/pps0 0666; I'd expect the failure to move to EPERM on the call to time_pps_setparams since I think you need CAP_SYS_TIME for that.

Oliver