gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Make gpsd work with BU-353 S4 receiver

From: Benjamin Armbruster
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Make gpsd work with BU-353 S4 receiver
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:37:06 +0200

Hey!

Am Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:16:50 -0700
schrieb "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden>:

> Yo Benjamin!
>
> > As I understand, you are part of the dev team, aren't you? If you
> > are, then could you tell me if it is possible to make gpsd put the
> > receiver in NMEA mode instead of SiRF binary in some future release?
>
> Possible, yes.  Likely to cause a riot, yes.
>
> Vendors and users like to think their particular binary mode is superior
> to generic NMEA.  Even when it is not.
>
> gpsctl lets you choose for yourself.

Well, here is the problem. After launching gpsd (the receiver is now in binary
mode), using gpsctl -n /dev/ttyUSB0 locks up the device or gpsd sometimes,
requiring
to disconnect and reattach the receiver, then fire up gpsd again and hope it
works.
At least, gpsctl always tells me "gpsctl:ERROR: /dev/ttyUSB0 mode change to NMEA
failed" and, in fact, this is often true!

So, I was thinking about adding a switch/flag to the gpsd command which forces
the
use of NMEA, so we do not have to worry about changing the protocol later using
gpsctl and having to struggle making it work properly.

> RGDS
> GARY
> Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR 97701
>       address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588

Regards, Benni