gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin GPS-19X HVS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin GPS-19X HVS
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 13:38:00 -0700

Yo John!

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 16:09:24 -0400
"Burton, John" <address@hidden> wrote:

> A project I am working on is considering using a Garmin GPS-19X HVS
> receiver. I did not see this particular model in the GPSD list of
> compatible devices. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge /
> experience with this particular devices.

None so far, maybe some lurker will chime in.

Luckily I just read that doc yesterday.

> I also need to use this
> device to synchronize the system clock to GPS time. Specifically:
>
>    - How compatible is this device with GPSD in general

The Garmin binary protocol is aweful.  The serial variants also speak
a fair version of NMEA.

Fair warning, the GPS-18 has pretty bad sensitivity by modern standards,
be sure the 19 is sensitive enough for you.

The $200 prive of the -19 HVS would be a deal killer for me.

>    - How well does this work with the kernel PPS under Linux?

Probably OK, with the caveats above and below.
> It has an RS-232 interface and a separate PPS line out with voltage levels
> compatible with the RS-232, so its possible to get a PPS signal on
> the DCD line of the RS-232.

Looking at the doc:
        http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPS_19x_HVS_Tech_Specs_EN.pdf

I see PPS on the violet wire.  But the output voltage levels are
clearly not RS-232:

Section 2:
        The unit accepts TIA-232-F (RS-232) level inputs and transmits
        voltage levels from ground 3.3 V[sic}

Some serial ports can handel 3.3V inputs, some not.  So clearly NOT
RS-232 compatible in all cases.

> Can anyone provide some feedback on this device?

If you buy it let us know how it works for you, but you can do a lot
cheaper and probably a lot better.

For usually under $40 you can buy GPS mice with PPS, like this one for $35:

http://www.amazon.com/GPS-Receiver-Interface-Cable-Length/dp/B00NOOIM9U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428352523&sr=8-5&keywords=pps+gps

The DIN connector is standard, so you only need to make an adapter cable.

Similar issues with the voltage levels.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588