gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin GPS-19X HVS

From: Burton, John
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin GPS-19X HVS
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:25:25 -0400

Hi Gary!
Thank you for the response! Your opinions on the device are appreciated!

For the project, we are more concerned about performance as opposed to cost, so your comments about sensitivity are appreciated.

Do you, or anyone on the mailing list, have any experience with a Tallysman TW5340? Its a relatively new company (compared to Garmin) and I did not see any mention on the compatibility list.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo John!

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 16:09:24 -0400
"Burton, John" <address@hidden> wrote:

> A project I am working on is considering using a Garmin GPS-19X HVS
> receiver. I did not see this particular model in the GPSD list of
> compatible devices. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge /
> experience with this particular devices.

None so far, maybe some lurker will chime in.

Luckily I just read that doc yesterday.

> I also need to use this
> device to synchronize the system clock to GPS time. Specifically:
>
>    - How compatible is this device with GPSD in general

The Garmin binary protocol is aweful.  The serial variants also speak
a fair version of NMEA.

Fair warning, the GPS-18 has pretty bad sensitivity by modern standards,
be sure the 19 is sensitive enough for you.

The $200 prive of the -19 HVS would be a deal killer for me.

>    - How well does this work with the kernel PPS under Linux?

Probably OK, with the caveats above and below.
> It has an RS-232 interface and a separate PPS line out with voltage levels
> compatible with the RS-232, so its possible to get a PPS signal on
> the DCD line of the RS-232.

Looking at the doc:
        http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPS_19x_HVS_Tech_Specs_EN.pdf

I see PPS on the violet wire.  But the output voltage levels are
clearly not RS-232:

Section 2:
        The unit accepts TIA-232-F (RS-232) level inputs and transmits
        voltage levels from ground 3.3 V[sic}

Some serial ports can handel 3.3V inputs, some not.  So clearly NOT
RS-232 compatible in all cases.

> Can anyone provide some feedback on this device?

If you buy it let us know how it works for you, but you can do a lot
cheaper and probably a lot better.

For usually under $40 you can buy GPS mice with PPS, like this one for $35:

http://www.amazon.com/GPS-Receiver-Interface-Cable-Length/dp/B00NOOIM9U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428352523&sr=8-5&keywords=pps+gps

The DIN connector is standard, so you only need to make an adapter cable.

Similar issues with the voltage levels.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588

--

John Burton, Ph.D.
MTEQ, Inc.

2680 Jefferson Davis Hwy                  Office:   540-658-2720 x1407
Stafford, VA 22554                            Mobile: 757-508-6208
address@hidden                            Fax:     540-288-2515

Please note that the contents of this email including all attachments may be privileged or confidential in nature and are intended solely for the named recipients.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and be aware that the use, copying, or dissemination of this information is prohibited.