gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] In which GR-601 does not equal GR-601W

From: Phil Stracchino
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] In which GR-601 does not equal GR-601W
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:22:11 -0400

On 07/27/16 18:04, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> What vesion of gpsmon are you running?
>
> 3.16 is current, 3.17 is in git head.

Oh dear.

minbar:root:~:43 # gpsmon -V
gpsmon: 3.9 (revision 3.9)

Let me see what I can do about ....      *FACEPALM*

Guess who didn't ask for "unstable" gpsd.

Updating...

> Yup, the PPS is connected to the Carrier Detect (CD) line on the
> USB to Serial converter.  And your USB driver is passing it on just fine.

Well that's a relief.

> As the ppscheck.c file says at the top:
>
>  * Each output line is the second and nanosecond parts of a timestamp
>  * followed by the names of handshake signals then asserted.  Off
>  * transitions may generate lines with no signals aserted.
>
> So CD goes off at 0.00847 Seconds after your sysclock top of second (TOS).
> Then CD goes back on at 0.10844 Seconds after TOS.  So your system clock is
> 8.47 milliSeconds early, and the pulse width is 100 millisconds.
>
> So, your GPS is indeed a GR-601W!

Well that's great news.  :)  And I have indeed jumped to an incorrect
conclusion about it, and have egg on my face therefrom.

So the next problem is why I can't seem to get ntps to see the GPS
signals.  And possibly updating to the *CURRENT* release of gpsd will go
at least some way towards fixing that.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications