Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome
Date: 03 Dec 2003 10:47:26 -0500

I'm a bit behind in playing with this, so apologies if I'm off.  I see
several separate pieces:

  glib2 core support
  ORBit2/corba support
  gnome-core stuff
  various gnome applications

I think it would be optimal if one could build guile-gnome with any of
the first three levels of support.

The last part IMHO doesn't really belong; I'd like to see guile-gnome
be able to provide glue (installed) that can then be used for other
wrappings.

I think it would be really unfortunate if one needed to install
gstreamer to build guile-gnome.

I think it would be best to have a guile-gnome-foo package for each
foo, but with that depending on the base guile-gnome already
installed.  I say this from the perspective of using guile and gnome
on NetBSD with pkgsrc, thinking about how this code will get packaged
(which is a bit separate from how it is released).  Honestly, guile is
not mainstream yet, so it is important IMHO to make things easy for
packagers, since that leads to guile being used in things like
gnumeric where it is optional.

How you propose things in CVS sounds ok; the main thing to me is to
have the separate release tarballs.  Having the all-in-one is not
important in my view, and may tend to be harmful, since a packager
might take that and not do the others, leading to dependency pain.

ORBit2 is small enough and core enough that if the really base package
does glib2 and corba that's probably fine.

Hope my rambling is helpful....

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>