Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:31:31 -0500

  My mail was mainly how to organize stuff from a source configuration
  managment POV, not so much how we then partition our modules into
  release tarballs.

I think we are in agreement.  From the packager point of view, I want
to split guile-gnome into pieces to avoid unnecessary dependencies.

  > I think it would be really unfortunate if one needed to install
  > gstreamer to build guile-gnome.

  All bit the first (glib/gobject) will be optional in any build (it is
  already).

The possible problem is that it should be possible to build the core
part and install it, and then build the other parts seperately (as
opposed to rebuilding the whole thing with more options enabled).

Eg:

guile-gobject depends on glib2 and guile
guile-gobject-corba depnds on guile-gobject and ORBit2
guile-gtk depends on guile-object and gtk
guile-glade depends on guile-gtk and glade2 (or libglade2)

>From this view, having a huge tarball is ok if one can easily take
parts of it to build/install.  This may just be separate install
targets for the segments.  But separate tarballs that each install
just their part (and rely on the dependent ones being installed
already) is the easiest way, mentally.