Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: RFC: How to organize guile-gnome
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:15:13 +0200

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   I don't know how NetBSD pkgsrc works, but in Debian you can have one
>   source package creating multiple binary packages, which then show the
>   above dependencies.
>
> This is a cool feature, but pkgsrc unfortunately doesn't have it.  The
> basic approach is to build a package, install all or some of it, and
> then package up the resulting installed files.  Thus my plea for the
> ability to install in chunks (rather than everything up to and
> including some point).

This is not a huge problem. We can make configure take --only-modules=
arguments, or something. All of this can be done with clever autotools.
It's just a matter of making it clever *and* passing `make distcheck' ;)

So again, it's possible. Personally, I'm not going to do a lot of work
to support what I consider to be broken package managers; if you want to
build from source, it should be easy, and if you want to install
packages, it should be easy. But we can throw in some auto-foo to help
you out if it's necessary.

Regards,

wingo.