Re: guile-gnome-platform-2.7.95

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: guile-gnome-platform-2.7.95
Date: 11 Nov 2004 08:54:39 -0500

On the parallel installability thread (which I know is just plain
hard, and I'm really glad to see you working on it), it seems the plan
is to have the code installed in different places, have the
'using application' select which one by consing on a different load
path, and then use the non-versioned module names.  This makes
migration pretty easy.

I wonder about having a regular module (in the normal place), called

(gnome gnome-0)

which when use-module'd augments %load-path with the guile-gnome-0
dirs, and does little else.

Then, a program could do

(use-modules (gnome gnome-0))
(use-modules (gnome gtk))

and not have to have a wrapper script at all (once all the reasons
needing LD_LIBRARY_PATH are resolved).  This still solves the real
parallel installability need, which I see as having guile-gnome-0 and
guile-gnome-1 installed at once, each with depending packages that use
them.

I'm not advocating getting rid of the wrapper script, although I
suppose it could become simpler by using this, invoking guile with
use-modules on the command line instead of setting the environment
variable.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>