guix-devel

Re: Installing the system from another distro

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Installing the system from another distro
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:48:44 +0100

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-24 20:21 +0300) wrote:
>> Could it be an ABI issue that vanishes after “make clean-go && make”?
>
> That's it!  It was very unexpected for me as I did "make clean-go" not so
> long ago, but anyway it works now.  Thank you very much for such a
> verbose answer and even testing (!)

Good news.  :-)

> I have another question.  I used "--no-grub" option, so I don't have a
> proper grub.cfg.  I expected to see “/boot” directory with symlinks to
> the linux and initram images but there is no such dir.  Do I understand
> it right that “/gnu/store/…-linux-libre-3.17.4/bzImage” and
> “/gnu/store/…-base-initrd/initrd” are hardcoded in the "grub.cfg"?

Yes, that’s correct.

Actually, when passing --no-grub, ‘guix system’ doesn’t even bother
generating grub.cfg (see ‘perform-action’ in (guix scripts system).)

So if you really want to use --no-grub, you should retrieve the kernel
and initrd file names, and manually add them to your bootloader’s
config.

One way to do that is to run:

  guix system build my-system-config.scm

The returned directory name contains the initrd and kernel, among other
things.

Note that you’ll also need to pass --root= and --system= on the kernel
command line (see the ‘operating-system-grub.cfg’ procedure.)

As you see, passing --no-grub is not an optimized use case.  :-)

Ludo’.