guix-devel

Re: Libreoffice building (sort of)

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Libreoffice building (sort of)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:17:56 -0400

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-03-11 17:34, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> What you've done is to roll back your Guix to the 4-month-old
>> version of
>> Guix that the 'wip-libreoffice' branch was based on.
>>
>> The proper way would be to use 'git' to rebase that branch on our
>> current master branch, and then use that.  "guix pull" can't do that.
>>
>>> I'm asking this as I see a different behavior now
>>> with `guix package -d' and `-i' for other packages now than before,
>>> and a lot of building from source.
>>
>> That's probably because Hydra has long ago deleted the binaries from 4
>> months ago.
>
> Thanks a lot for this confirmation Mark, I suspected something like
> this must have happened when I saw the sourcebuilding...
>
> How best to proceed from here to:
> - get back to current master
> - keep the built libreoffice in the store
>
> I had an idea that pulling the current master from the downloaded file
> will bring me forward again, but doesn't seem it happened - still
> building from source.

A plain "guix pull", should bring you forward again, but now there's a
different problem: hydra.gnu.org is currently down.  Hopefully it'll be
back up soon.

After "guix pull", you'll also need to use "guix package -i" to bring
back the new versions of any packages you had installed while using the
wip-libreoffice branch.

Also, if you had run "guix system reconfigure" while you were on the
wip-libreoffice branch, then you should run that command again to get
back to the latest software.

> I don't use Guix from git, this is the GuixSD installed as a clean
> system from USB. Is there no other way now than to clone the git guix,
> build it an rebase?

If you want to merge two different branches of our git repository, then
'git' is the right tool for that job.

> How will it interact with the GuixSD version of the tools?

'guix pull' populates $HOME/.config/guix/latest (or
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/guix/latest if XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set).  Other 'guix'
commands look in that directory and use the package descriptions found
there.

So, assumes your environment variables are set sanely, if you ran

  guix pull --url=file:///path/to/wip-libreoffice.tar.gz

as user 'foo', then only 'guix' commands run as user 'foo' will use
packages from the wip-libreoffice branch.  Other users running 'guix'
would not be affected.

> Isn't this going to lead to more conflicts? How do I insure
> the git guix will take precedende - just make sure to run local
> commands only from the git build directory?

When you run "/path/to/git/checkout/pre-inst-env guix ..." then it will
always use the package descriptions from the git checkout.  This is what
I *always* do.  In fact, to make this easier, I put this script in
~/bin/guix:

If you want to merge two different branches of our git repository, then
'git' is the right tool for that job.

> How will it interact with the GuixSD version of the tools?

'guix pull' populates $HOME/.config/guix/latest (or
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/guix/latest if XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set).  Other 'guix'
commands look in that directory and use the package descriptions found
there.

So, assumes your environment variables are set sanely, if you ran

  guix pull --url=file:///path/to/wip-libreoffice.tar.gz

as user 'foo', then only 'guix' commands run as user 'foo' will use
packages from the wip-libreoffice branch.  Other users running 'guix'
would not be affected.

> Isn't this going to lead to more conflicts? How do I insure
> the git guix will take precedende - just make sure to run local
> commands only from the git build directory?

When you run "/path/to/git/checkout/pre-inst-env guix ..." then it will
always use the package descriptions from the git checkout.  This is what
I *always* do.  In fact, to make this easier, I put this script in
~/bin/guix:

If you want to merge two different branches of our git repository, then
'git' is the right tool for that job.

> How will it interact with the GuixSD version of the tools?

'guix pull' populates $HOME/.config/guix/latest (or
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/guix/latest if XDG_CONFIG_HOME is set).  Other 'guix'
commands look in that directory and use the package descriptions found
there.

So, assumes your environment variables are set sanely, if you ran

  guix pull --url=file:///path/to/wip-libreoffice.tar.gz

as user 'foo', then only 'guix' commands run as user 'foo' will use
packages from the wip-libreoffice branch.  Other users running 'guix'
would not be affected.

> Isn't this going to lead to more conflicts? How do I insure
> the git guix will take precedende - just make sure to run local
> commands only from the git build directory?

When you run "/path/to/git/checkout/pre-inst-env guix ..." then it will
always use the package descriptions from the git checkout.  This is what
I *always* do.  In fact, to make this easier, I put this script in
~/bin/guix:

#!/bin/sh

exec /home/mhw/guix/pre-inst-env guix "$@"

Also note that when 'pre-inst-env' is used, $HOME/.config/guix/latest is
always ignored, so anything you've done with 'guix pull' is irrelevant.

      Mark