guix-devel

Re: Guix Oficial Website

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Guix Oficial Website
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 11:53:45 -0500

On 2015-05-18 10:47, Andreas Enge wrote:
Hello!

Hi, Andreas.

The "mobile phone" part of the responsive design activates itself quite early; personally, I am using a window that is a bit larger than half of my laptop
screen, and the mobile phone design looks weird. For instance, the menu
consists of six large panes, stacked vertically, with just a tiny bit of text ("Download", etc.) in the left corner, which takes at most 20% of the width (while the full menu takes almost all of the height; so basically I am sitting in front of a grey window with a bit of orange text in it). I would say that the standard layout (with the menu items going from left to right in one row) should be activated as soon as all the menu items fit. Maybe around 600 pixels of window width instead of around 1000, or even down to 500 or 400 pixels?

Yes, I agree. The current design discriminates between two ranges of screens only. So a new range could be added to avoid the too-much-menu issue in wide-enough screens.

On the download page, the items are all arranged vertically, with lots of free space to their sides. Maybe this is also why John is seeing so much free space? In full screen mode, I have three columns, which is a good use of the space.

On the download page, I would make the logos and file names clickable; then maybe the download button becomes superfluous altogether. And maybe keep a bit more space between the items, or some kind of line; especially in phone mode, it is a bit difficult to decide whether the "download" button belongs to the item described above or below it (but the correct solution, the item above,
is the more intuitive one, so there is no big problem here).

Ludovic suggested before that we could make the download items more compact, and I agree. For example, instead of having one download item per architecture, we would have one item for GuixSD and one item for Guix, each of them listing the available download alternatives (architecture, source, ...). For example:

-------------------
GuixSD 0.8.2

USB installer of the Guix System Distribution.

Download for x86_64 (get signature)
Download for xi686  (get signature)
Download for ...    (get signature)

See installation instructions

In this design, the clickable logos and names would not work, but the other changes you suggest do fit. I'm going to try this as soon as possible if people think is alright.

Thanks for the feedback, Andreas.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/