guix-devel

Re: R dependencies

From: Vicente Vera
Subject: Re: R dependencies
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:39:33 -0300

Hello again,

Finally solved this:

Error in grid.Call.graphics(L_text, as.graphicsAnnot(x$label), x$x, x$y,  :
X11 font -adobe-helvetica-%s-%s-*-*-%d-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, face 2 at size
11 could not be loaded

The problem arose because R wasn't using cairo for font rendering.
Some simple configurations in ~/.Rprofile solved it:

setHook(packageEvent("grDevices", "onLoad"),
        function(...) grDevices::X11.options(type = "cairo",
                                             antialias = "subpixel"))

The code changes the X11 device (used for plotting) type from "XLib"
to "cairo", once it gets called.

(just for the record, i'm not using GuixSD)