guix-devel

Re: Guix libification.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix libification.
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 16:24:42 +0200

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> The script is becoming bigger and some parts of Guix would be really
> handy : (guix records), (guix workers), (guix utils) ...
>
> I don't want Guix to become a dependency of my script but copying parts
> of Guix in not great either. So I'm wondering if some parts of Guix,
> useful to other guile projects could be integrated to a lib, guile-lib
> for instance ?

I think it would be great, though there’s some friction: modules still
in flux are better kept in Guix proper because we can change them as we
see fit; modules that have become stable could be externalized, provided
someone steps up to maintain them and make frequent releases.

Recently Chris Webber integrated (guix hash) and (guix pk-crypto) into a
broader guile-gcrypt library, which I think is a good thing: this part
was stable enough and it’s definitely better to have one guile-gcrypt
project that everyone can build upon.  Guix will use it once there’s
been a release or two I think.  :-)

For smaller modules like records, workers, utils, I would suggest
integrating them into Guile proper or Guile-Lib maybe.

WDYT?

Ludo’.