guix-devel

Re: 01/04: gnu: mesa: Disable imx driver for armhf-linux.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: 01/04: gnu: mesa: Disable imx driver for armhf-linux.
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 12:30:23 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

>> Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Note that mesa and libdrm did not build any drivers at all on armhf
>>> until recent commits on 'staging'.  I tried cross-compiling libdrm
>>> to update etnaviv symbols instead, but failed some packages before it.
>>>
>>> So currently it's a trial-and-error process to find flags to make mesa
>>> build on armhf.  This means armhf users are currently unable to build
>>> *any* graphical packages, actually.  Given how expensive evaluations
>>> are, I figured we might as well deal with it on 'master'.
>>
>> Thanks for explaining.  I think this should have been dealt with on the
>> 'staging' branch before merging into 'master'.  This is a pretty bad
>> situation now for anyone using Guix on armhf.
>
> Didn't we already talk about this when you merged an earlier 'staging'
> branch into 'master' that contained a major GNOME upgrade that was
> untested, and broke GNOME desktops for all platforms?
>
> Do you think it should be acceptable to merge a major branch into
> 'master' where *all* graphical packages are broken on armhf?

I naively assumed that disabling the etnaviv driver was enough, but
concede that it was short-sighted.  Unfortunately I did not notice the
armhf failures until late in the cycle due to manually restarting all
'gobject-introspection' dependents on i686 and x86_64.  And learned that
"new job" failures are not listed in the "newly failing" tab.

I feel terrible for gambling with armhf users' convenience and security
and can only offer a sincere apology.

Hopefully the most recent 'mesa' commit solves this issue, and rest
assured I won't merge a broken package with ~800 dependents again.

Humbly,
Marius