guix-devel

Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guideli

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 04:15:58 -0500

Hi,

I've decided to withdraw my objections to the policy of requiring that
project participants agree to our CoC.

I read the language of the CoC again more carefully, looking to produce
a realistic scenario of a person with legitimate but unpopular political
views being discriminated against by this requirement.  Ultimately, I
failed to find any realistic example that I wish to defend.

I no longer believe that agreeing to our CoC implies declaring agreement
with it.  I think I jumped to conclusions too quickly here, partly based
on an unusually strong interpretation of the word "agree".

I've also been worrying about possible abuses that I now suspect (hope?)
would be unlikely to hold up in a court.  For example, I worried that if
participation in the project is taken to imply agreement with our CoC,
that by a natural extrapolation, someone who contributes a single fix
but is otherwise uninvolved with the project could be legally held to be
bound by our CoC.  That's thinking like a mathematician, where I should
have been trying to think like a lawyer.

So, I'm withdrawing my objections.  Sorry for the stress.

       Mark