guix-devel

Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guideli

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Stop it. Formerly - Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 18:41:42 +0100

I think you are focusing too much on the "pledge" part. Submitting a patch is
an informal process and I doubt anyone is going to hold it up against you in a
court. This is just an instance of using fancy words to sound important.

People's real grievances with the CC are that it polices people outside the
project as well (simply abiding by the rules on the mailing list and IRC is
not enough, according to the terms of the CC), its focus on punishment,
presumption of malice and of course the author of the CC and the surrounding
culture. Getting hung up on details like the word "pledge" is just going to
burn people out, but will not resolve anything.