guix-devel

Re: NPM importer

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: NPM importer
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:37:40 +0100

[...]

> Yes, this was the topic of a GSoC project by Jelle Licht (Cc’d).  But
> don’t hold your breath: as Chris Webber explained, the npm situation is
> very hard to address sanely:
>
>   http://dustycloud.org/blog/javascript-packaging-dystopia/

(semi OT: today Debian ships a recent jquery 3.2.1)

I'm not an expert in js (nor guix) packaging so I'm not able to judge
this:

 https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/12/16/reproducible-builds-npm-yarn/

is yarn a viable solution to the NPM packaging problems?

can we achieve reproducible builds ala guix with a yarn importer and
some amount of yarn packages downloading/automation and offline
mirroring?

Ciao
Giovanni

P.S.: why