guix-devel

Re: NPM importer

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: NPM importer
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 18:15:03 +0100

Le 2018-11-21 17:37, Giovanni Biscuolo a écrit :

[...]

Yes, this was the topic of a GSoC project by Jelle Licht (Cc’d).  But
don’t hold your breath: as Chris Webber explained, the npm situation is
very hard to address sanely:

  http://dustycloud.org/blog/javascript-packaging-dystopia/

(semi OT: today Debian ships a recent jquery 3.2.1)

I'm not an expert in js (nor guix) packaging so I'm not able to judge
this:

 https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/12/16/reproducible-builds-npm-yarn/

is yarn a viable solution to the NPM packaging problems?

can we achieve reproducible builds ala guix with a yarn importer and
some amount of yarn packages downloading/automation and offline
mirroring?

How different is it to build an npm package and a yarn package? Could you elaborate a bit on your idea?

We can already build packages with our wip node-build-system, as long as we have build- and run-time dependencies available. The real hard parts are: sometimes build-tools depend on what they build, there is just too many dependencies and some packages don't declare a license properly.

For instance, grunt is a build tool for node packages; it has 179 dependencies at runtime (including recursive dependencies). All of them need to be built before grunt can be run. What's the chance that none of them require grunt? I haven't taken the time to look at these dependencies, so maybe I'm pessimistic with no good reason.

Another instance is application-config-path that declares its license only in the Makefile, in the form of "License: MIT". Do we consider this free software?

Now if yarn has some build recipes and has taken the time to make this whole mess more manageable, I'm all for a yarn importer. Otherwise, it's just another source of package information, which is fine, but npm seems to do the job already.

Ciao
Giovanni

P.S.: why

--