guix-devel

Re: Re-approaching package tagging

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 08:53:12 +0100

Hello,

zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:

>> And how the regexp works ?
>> I am not able to find some doc... I am diving in the code but it is
>> not easy to find. :-)
>
> If I understand well, basically the code is here, right?
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/package.scm#n754
>
> And the regexp engine comes from the module (ice-9 regex), right?
> Documented there:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Regular-Expressions.html#Regular-Expressions

Yes, just plain POSIX regexps.

>> For example, how to search package with the name emacs and not the name
>> emacs-
>> or how to search package with the name emacs and with the decription GNU?
>> The '-s foo -s bar' is OR. What about the AND?
>> etc.
>
> This needs more than the actual implementation, right?

Having multiple -s flags makes it an “or” but it influences the
relevance score:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html#index-searching-for-packages

So if you take the results with the highest score, that’ll probably be
those that match all the regexps.

HTH!

Ludo’.