guix-devel

Re: Re-approaching package tagging

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 15:42:25 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> Is there anything specific that you think could be borrowed from
> aptitude in the current Guix framework?

Once the recutils doc carefully read, all the features from aptitude
that I use are already in recutils. :-)
Even, the option -e seems more powerful.

Something maybe useful should be to able to search if the binary is
already in the store or not.
Other thing is the option `-F %O' from aptitude which shows the origin
of the package. I do not have my mind clear about the channels--I am
discovering them--but basically I am doing some `git grep' which is
not the most friendly. Or I miss a point.

Is it possible to remove the first double quote when searching for all
the packages?
  guix package -s "" | recsel -C -e 'name ~ "agda"' -p synopsis
e.g
  guix package -s | recsel -C -e 'name ~ "agda"' -p synopsis

In the long term, I find more convenient something is this flavor:
  guix package --search='name ~ "agda" && !(name ~ "mode") -p synopsis'
I mean avoid the pipe. But it is bikeshedding, isn't it? :-)

Last, recutils is not installed by default with Guix. Why not?
Maybe with a curated list of dependencies.

Hope it makes sense.

All the best,
simon