gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In

From: Massimiliano Mirra
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:26:45 +0200

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:50:05PM -0600, Tom Sawyer wrote:
> sorry to see that no one else is "jumping right in"

Sorry Tom, unfortunately (so to speak) the list startup coincided with
me beginning a new job.  Eighteen hours of server administration in
two days and I've had little time for anything else.

I wanted to point out that:

> 2. ideally, the gui api allows for bindings on any of the model's
> object's instance variables.

It's not really instance variables that we're after.  They represent
the state of an object, not what we want to expose of it to the
outside.  That's what getter methods are for.  So, your current way of
dynamically adding code to *methods* might have implementation
drawbacks but is conceptually the right one or one of the right ones.

I hope to spare some time in the next few days, I've got some ideas to
write down.

Massimiliano