gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:31:47 +0200

> > Uh?  I haven't read the article, but to me it looks just plain wrong.
> > The View should *not* be coupled to the Model.  Anybody versed in
> > patterns cares to comment?
> >
> > Your diagram below of the interaction between M, V, and C looks much
> > more like it.
>
> am i glad to hear that. you know i tried readin some more on MVC and i
> must admit that i'm not liking what i'm hearing. talk about
> over-complexifying things. what ever you want to call gutopia's design
> as i drew it in my last post, MVC or no, it sure seems like the right
> way to do it to me. but i think i have it figured out: the VC in MVC is
> really just the task of the backend GUI app. essentially we're just
> sticking gutopia between it and the model as a meta-controller. like so:
>
>                  +------------+
>                  |   Model    |
>                  +------------+
>                     /\     |
>                     |     \/
>               +------------------+
>               |  Meta-Controller | (GUtopIa)
>               +------------------+
>                 /\ .          /\
>                 / .            \
>                / .              \
>               / .                \
>              / \/                 \
>       +------------+ <------ +------------+
>       |    View    |         | Controller |  (Backend GUI)
>       +------------+ ......> +------------+

Let me clarify MVC a bit. The View, in general, is coupled to the
Model, simply because there need not be a Controller at all: a View
can be simple list (or graph, or webpage). If needed, the Controller
is a command-line tool without showing any results.

This is irrelevant for Gutopia, since modern UIs combine View and
Controller: a TextInput widget both shows the current value and can
set a new one (that's not SOC, but happens to be very user-friendly).

In a discussion with colleagues we came to a point where we agreed that
the core-application is the Model and a toolkit View+Controller. But
since that toolkit keeps some data of it's own, there is a second
Model in the overall application. That Meta-Controller up here prolly
keeps track of more important things than your average toolkit.

Hope this helps,
Kero.

PS: Hello all! Happy to see there is still interest in perfect
GUI-stuff for Ruby!

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+