gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In

From: list
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:39:28 +0200

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:30:13AM -0600, Tom Sawyer wrote:
> > It's not really instance variables that we're after.  They represent
> > the state of an object, not what we want to expose of it to the
> > outside.  That's what getter methods are for.  So, your current way of
> > dynamically adding code to *methods* might have implementation
> > drawbacks but is conceptually the right one or one of the right ones.
>
> hmmm...yes, you may be right about this. but i forsee a difficulty with
> this. ultimately what the gui coder is after is the data stored in
> instance variables. and as you say, one creates accessor methods to
> provide this, but this provision is done with procedural coding in mind,
> not declarative, i.e. automagical bindings. so internally, in the
> core-app, how often does one use accessor methods?

100% of the time.

It seems that you are considering the logic (Model in MVC) and the
application as the same thing, when they're not.  The Model is *meant*
to be accessed from code only.  Interactions with the outside world
are the Controller's task.  Application is Model(s) plus Controller(s)
plus View(s).

Believe me, the time to get this right is ASAP.  When three years ago
I took Delphi programming seriously (which is not what 95% of Delphi
`developers' do, and not even what the manuals encourage you to do), I
spent *weeks* studying Observer and MVC during the day, and having
nightmares about them at night.

I'm afraid that ruby's excellence in introspection and dynamism can be
a drawback here.  A static language would help more in the basics.

Massimiliano