gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In
Date: 10 Aug 2002 03:26:27 -0600

> Let me clarify MVC a bit. The View, in general, is coupled to the
> Model, simply because there need not be a Controller at all: a View
> can be simple list (or graph, or webpage). If needed, the Controller
> is a command-line tool without showing any results.

you mean the view could be read only, and thus without a Controller.
from what i've read, the split between View and Controller was basically
between output and input. essentially the command-line is a VC. $stdout
is the View, $stdin is the Controller. That fits with what your
describing.

> This is irrelevant for Gutopia, since modern UIs combine View and
> Controller: a TextInput widget both shows the current value and can
> set a new one (that's not SOC, but happens to be very user-friendly).

to me that's SOC enough. IO can be a single concern. Input and Output do
not need to be considered seperate since, at the very least, they
converge at the UI.

> In a discussion with colleagues we came to a point where we agreed that
> the core-application is the Model and a toolkit View+Controller. But
> since that toolkit keeps some data of it's own, there is a second
> Model in the overall application. That Meta-Controller up here prolly
> keeps track of more important things than your average toolkit.
>
> Hope this helps,

that does help. thanks kero! with a touch of finessing on what your
saying, i see now, our model is really this:

                  +------------+
                  |   Model    |
                  +------------+
                     /\     \
                     /      \/
              +----------------------+
              | Meta-View+Controller | (GUtopIa) coded with Meta-API Toolkit
              +----------------------+
                  /\          \
                  /            \
                 /             \/
           +----------------------------+
           |       View+Controller      |  (Backend GUI) coded with API Toolkit
           +----------------------------+

i can also see that the V+C, and likewise the Meta-V+C, have a little M
in them, though i hesitate to state that too emphatically --that data is
essentially a reflection of the Model, unless you also include the
Description of the GUI's layout a part of the Model, then certainly it
also includes that.

this looks right to me and i'm going to post a summary of this up on the
wiki. but stop me if any of you see something seriously wrong with it.

> PS: Hello all! Happy to see there is still interest in perfect
> GUI-stuff for Ruby!

and loving it! well, speaking for myself, as least.

thanks for joining in :-)

~transami