gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 25th, 26th, 27th & 28th (hh)

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 25th, 26th, 27th & 28th (hh)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:47:43 +0200

> > > What do you mean by "local store" (replication or something else) ?
> >
> > I mean: for each node, how much capacity should it allocate to the P2P
> > network?
> > I.e. if everyone has 50MB of P2P data that they *WANT* to store and
> > allocate
> > 2MB for data that the algorithm wants to store, what happens? Does only the
> > 2MB
> > get really used by others?
>
> As far as I know, there is no limitation like this in DHTs (or in other
> algorithms (?)).

Really? I look forward to seeing your description of the DHT algorithm
in your thesis. My picture of DHTs was a little different...

> > keyword

> > > What do you mean by saying (in research questions): "Mist? tied?n, mik?
> > on
> > > *suht* oikea ?" --> the word "suht".
> >
> > How do I know, if starting just from the *words* "Helsinging sanomat",
> > which
> > urn-5 and which key are the right ones? To distinguish between real and
> > fake newspapers.
>
> Reputation mixed with a digital sigature ? Or a simply decision by social
> connection (as in alpine paradigm) ? Hash/integrity of *something* ? What is
> *something*, I have to look more of it.
>
> btw, is it possible to be CAs (Certificate Authorities) in Gzz p2p (like
> "Sanomatalo" which we can trust on in the case of "Helsingin sanomat") ?

Certainly.

> > > Now, look answer above.
> >
> > Transclusions referring is not quite the same as the above: there are more
> > transclusions per document than urn-5's per document.
> > This is essentially a distributed database.
>
> Uum...but still in p2p environment e.g. based on DHTs ? Has transclusion a
> block
> id ? How we can refer to specific transclusion (is it possible) ?
>
> These are rookie-like questions as I don't know Gzz/Xanalogical structure
> wery well.

Ok, a transclusion is a part of a document (with block-id X) that says

        "here, use 20 bytes of block Y offset 52"

i.e. it inCLUDES a part of another document, TRANScending the document
boundaries.

> > > Hmm...in practise, what g and h mean ?
> >
> > Explain; what don't you understand?
>
> I undestand the basic idea of transclusion ("part of text which refers to
> external text, but this is invisible to the reader of text").
>
> What are the basic differences between transclusions and Xanadu links ?

Transclusion is as above. A Xu link is a document saying

        "The 20 bytes of block Y offset 52 are connected to 40 bytes of block
Z, offset 40, because
        they talk about the same thing"

        Tuomas