gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 25th, 26th, 27th & 28th (hh)

From: hemppah
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 25th, 26th, 27th & 28th (hh)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:14:28 +0200

Quoting Tuomas Lukka <address@hidden>:

> > > I mean: for each node, how much capacity should it allocate to the P2P
> > > network?
> > > I.e. if everyone has 50MB of P2P data that they *WANT* to store and
> > > allocate
> > > 2MB for data that the algorithm wants to store, what happens? Does only
> the
> > > 2MB
> > > get really used by others?
> >
> > As far as I know, there is no limitation like this in DHTs (or in other
> > algorithms (?)).
>
> Really? I look forward to seeing your description of the DHT algorithm
> in your thesis. My picture of DHTs was a little different...

Hmm..where did you get this information ?-) I base my knowledge of DHT's
limitations on following text/publications:

a) http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/174.pdf
b) http://iris.lcs.mit.edu/proposal.html
c) http://ciae.cs.uiuc.edu/SRG/summaries/summary-9-4-02.html

They all discusses the limitation of DHTs, but I haven't been able to find
limitation related to "local store" problem.

-Hermanni