gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:09:23 +0200

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 02:11:27PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >>Text entered without pressing a modifier is simply normal
> >>text input. It goes where the text cursor is. If there
> >>is no text cursor, one is created at the end of the
> >>currently focused node or literal.
> >
> >Hmm, I dislike the "one is created" stuff - why not just always
> >have one? The user should see where the text will go...
>
> Because the text at the beginning is most relevant for understanding
> what the node is about, but wanting to type at the end of the node is
> much more common than wanting to type at the beginning of the node.
> I.e., when you're not typing, the text should be scrolled to the
> beginning of the node, but when you start typing, it should jump to the end.
>
> We could show a text cursor at the end anyway, which may be outside the
> viewport before you start typing...

This is what I was looking for ;)

> >>Alt is used for the movement quasimode. That is, while you
> >>hold down Alt (and no other modifier), you can move around
> >>in the structure using the arrowsets known from zzstructure.
> >>Our arrowsets are 9-key: we have ``uiojkln,.`` and
> >>``wersdfxcv``. This allows convenient rotation of the
> >>wheel view.
> >>
> >>Pressing Shift while Alt is held down enters a special
> >>command quasimode.
> >
> >Why not 'Ctrl'? Or one of the other modifiers that microsoft
> >has excreted on our keyboards?
>
> Right, should've said that.
>
> Mainly ergonomical reasons. Shift is easiest to type, Alt is next on
> most keyboards today-- a nice big key left of the spacebar, which you
> can easily reach with the thumb.

But alt-shift is really bad...

Control, OTOH, can be mapped to be on caps lock.

Perhaps we should speak of "MODIFIER1" etc and let the user assign them?

> Using the thumb is especially nice as
> it may be held down for long periods of time as you navigate the
> structure, and the thumb is a) a strong finger and b) easy to use
> independently of the other fingers, which you may need for typing the
> arrow keys.

The position of the hand is not nice though...

> Also, Ctrl is not good in Loom because we want to integrate well with
> PUIs, and many PUI users have habituated e.g. Ctrl-X/C/V for operating
> the PUI clipboard, I think.

That's a good point.

> As for the MS keys, they have preprogrammed functions in Win which we
> cannot control, plus do you really think we can trap them reliably among
> Javas? I somehow cannot imagine they all use the same name for them :-)

This should not preclude their use on platforms where you *CAN* catch them...

        Tuomas