gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:52:51 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 02:11:27PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
Tuomas Lukka wrote:
Pressing Shift while Alt is held down enters a special
command quasimode.

Why not 'Ctrl'? Or one of the other modifiers that microsoft
has excreted on our keyboards?

Right, should've said that.

Mainly ergonomical reasons. Shift is easiest to type, Alt is next on most keyboards today-- a nice big key left of the spacebar, which you can easily reach with the thumb.

But alt-shift is really bad...

Really? Of all the combinations of two modifiers while typing letters, I find Alt-Shift easiest. Alt because of the thumb thing, Shift because I use it while typing letters anyway.

Control, OTOH, can be mapped to be on caps lock.

What?

Perhaps we should speak of "MODIFIER1" etc and let the user assign them?

I don't see the value in that. Of course the users can reassign the modifier keys used for each quasimode-- as well as the individual bindings-- but when talking about the default assignment, we should think about the ergonomics of each modifier, and saying MODIFIER1 doesn't help evaluate that...

Using the thumb is especially nice as it may be held down for long periods of time as you navigate the structure, and the thumb is a) a strong finger and b) easy to use independently of the other fingers, which you may need for typing the arrow keys.

The position of the hand is not nice though...

Hm, I don't change my hand position for that.

As for the MS keys, they have preprogrammed functions in Win which we cannot control, plus do you really think we can trap them reliably among Javas? I somehow cannot imagine they all use the same name for them :-)

This should not preclude their use on platforms where you *CAN* catch them...

But it does preclude there use in a default mapping.

- Benja