gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:52:37 +0200

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 04:41:51PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> A preliminary quasimode-based interface for Fenfire and Loom
>
> :Author:      Benja Fallenstein
> :Date:                2003-02-17
> :Revision:    $Revision: 1.6 $
> :Last-Modified: $Date: 2003/03/03 20:37:17 $
> :Type:                User Interface
> :Scope:               Major
>

> Modes create mode errors. I've witnessed this in Gzz many
> times, where users would try to type text into a cell
> while in the wrong mode, creating a huge mess. Research
> indicates that even sophisticated users cannot keep track
> of modes always. When commands have habituated so that you
> do them without having to think about them, you cannot
> keep track of modes.
>
> Research also indicates that *quasimodes* never create
> mode errors. A quasimode is a mode that is in effect
> while some indicator switch is physically activated.
> For keyboard interaction, this means "while a modifier key
> is held down".

This sounds like a really good idea!

> Text entered without pressing a modifier is simply normal
> text input. It goes where the text cursor is. If there
> is no text cursor, one is created at the end of the
> currently focused node or literal.

Hmm, I dislike the "one is created" stuff - why not just always
have one? The user should see where the text will go...

> The *Left* and *Right* keys are used to move the text
> cursor. If there is no text cursor, *Left* creates one
> at the beginning and *Right* creates one at the end
> of the text in the focused node or literal.

Ok, what about move word, move sentence?

> Alt is used for the movement quasimode. That is, while you
> hold down Alt (and no other modifier), you can move around
> in the structure using the arrowsets known from zzstructure.
> Our arrowsets are 9-key: we have ``uiojkln,.`` and
> ``wersdfxcv``. This allows convenient rotation of the
> wheel view.
>
> Pressing Shift while Alt is held down enters a special
> command quasimode.

Why not 'Ctrl'? Or one of the other modifiers that microsoft
has excreted on our keyboards?

Btw: you used the term "quasimodal" somewhere -- I just get
images of hunchbacks ;)

        Tuomas