heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: question RE "making it live"

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: question RE "making it live"
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:13:48 +0530

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 09:51:56PM -0700, Josh White wrote:
> I think the curious user wants to see if "computers have feelings".

Yes!  This rings true.

My mom was impressed by this idea in a way that she would never be
impressed by reading an ontology for the same.

>  - see the computer "feel" and predict how a human feels in a situation, as
> Bill says

Hrm!  I think a key thing here is to put the computer in the first
person.  "I (the computer) judge that Sally would feel happy because
of X Y Z"

>  - be able to change things (e.g. drop-down lists, or type in random stuff,
> for the nouns) and watch the the results change

Hrm hrm .. interesting.

> In collecting data, I always refer to one of the greatest UI designs in
> recent history, www.hotornot.com.

Agree 100%

> It is essentially a survey of sexual attractiveness, but the interface is
> totally addictive:
>  - you MUST give an answer to move forward.
>  - you are IMMEDIATELY rewarded for giving an answer, by seeing the results
> of the previous question.
>  - you are IMMEDIATELY shown the next question, at the same time.
>  - you constantly see pictures of sexy people (well, we can't hope for that!
> :)
>
> > It's goal is to be able to generate a set of ways of appraising a
> situation.
>
> Does it also try to identify the most likely appraisal (ie the best answer?)

Thinking along hotornot lines, what if we invite folks to submit
photos of stuff happening.  The submitter labels each of the
participants with a name.  Then our computer model generates
appraisals are the situation depicted in the photo.

This is really similar to what I did for Aleader, except that we can
invite _any_ photos instead of frames from a film.  Maybe frames from
a film would also be cool to include because of the additional context
that a film provides (assuming the rater has seen the film).  Hrm,
maybe we can integrate with imdb.com to some minor extent.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://openheartlogic.org