heartlogic-dev

RE: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: question RE "making it live"

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: question RE "making it live"
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:55:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Josh White wrote:

> > first person.  "I (the computer) judge that Sally would feel
> > happy because of X Y Z"
>
> Totally.
>
> > >  - be able to change things (e.g. drop-down lists, or type
> > in random
> > > stuff, for the nouns) and watch the the results change
> >
> > Hrm hrm .. interesting.
>
> Yeah, not sure how to do this. Everyone will wonder if the computer is
> "cheating" (ie lookup tables for only the examples given).  I'd want users
> to be able to prove otherwise somehow.

Right.  In the short term, we can let users "chose (or, uh oh, create?)
what fruit to give to Tracy."  So, Tracy doesn't get a banana -- this
time, she gets a pommergranite.

> > > In collecting data, I always refer to one of the greatest UI designs
> > > in recent history, www.hotornot.com.
> >

> > Thinking along hotornot lines, what if we invite folks to
> > submit photos of stuff happening.  The submitter labels each
> > of the participants with a name.  Then our computer model
> > generates appraisals are the situation depicted in the photo.
>
> That would be awesome!
>
> Another idea is make this a class project, to be done with a teacher:
>
> 1) input children's stories, possibly written by kids

Great idea.  They'd have a limited set of nouns and actions to chose from.

> 2) have the computer generate outcomes. The kids add possible outcomes using
> dropdown lists if they want.
> 3) the computer guesses an outcome
> 4) the kids "correct" the computer (or verify).
>
> A third idea:
>
> "Tree browser" - allow users to browse whatever information the computer
> uses to decide.  Good interface design would be essential...!  Can someone
> post a little bit of any database here? Say 50 lines or something? I have no
> idea what it looks like under the hood, but I'm picturing a tree-based
> structure like "lifeform -> animal -> frog -> bullfrog" (where each arrow is
> one branch of many options).

Yes, that would be way cool.  The raw KM does not have a GUI but I know
that some of their affiliates made a very nice interface.  Also, Cyc's
GUI user interface is decent.

Bill