heartlogic-dev

correctness vs believability (was Re: [Heartlogic-dev] comments on story

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: correctness vs believability (was Re: [Heartlogic-dev] comments on story rating thing)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:06:02 +0530

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 14:39 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 02:29 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > How correct is HAL?
> >
> > ...and have not believability ratings but correctness ratings, a la...
> >
> >     Completely Incorrect
> >     Slighly Incorrect
> >     So So
> >     Slightly Correct
> >     Completely Correct
> >
> > [except presented horizontally]
>
> Wow, uh, seems like a good idea.  Give me a day or two to digest it.

I'm confused.

Why does your dissertation consider believability instead of
correctness?

What is the difference between believability and correctness?

For example, let's look at the Jack & Jill story.  The stats are
positive for Jack/Goal with Jill/Goal and Jill/NoGoal.  Why not
Jack/NoGoal with Jill/Goal?  Since the story doesn't specify the
individual goals, I don't think there is a correct answer but there are
believable answers.  Hence, I am inclined to leave the rating as a
believability rating.  Or am I missing something?