heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: wiki?

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: wiki?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:29:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 02:06 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
Hey, can we have a wiki?  That would be a great thing to jot on our wiki
page.

Well, it's not that hard to set up but I actually like email.  Does
anyone else really want a wiki?

yes, i like email too.  i don't really mean it as a replacement for
email.  rather as a supplement to it.  a place to store the result of
our conversations, to store the pros and cons, to store our agreed
upon plans....we discuss over email.  we reach consensus or we agree
to disagree and table the issue for a while...but there are so mnay
issues we (well, i'll speak for myself, *I*) are(am) likely to forget
whhat the conclusion was to any given issue. we are likely to forget
the detailed pros and cons of an argument.

one example is i'd like a place to store all thhe ways in which we are
different from tim chklovski.

i would also like to store a little snippet for each brainstorm we get
about other directions to take this work -- e.g. josh's cartoon and
robot bonk on the head idea, my rate music ontology idea, etc...it is
good to have those in a publc or semi-public place where we can and
should refer back to keep us on track but also mindful of how we got
where we are, where we wanna go long term , etc..

conclusion: if you can do it in a short amount of time, e.g. less than
30 min?, the can you pretty please set up a wiki?

we can experiment with it for 1 month or so.  if i fail to make a good
case then i will do a cartwheel as pennance.

One change that might be more productive is to dump CVS and start using
subversion, or hey, cogito.

i know cvs pretty well now bc of my job at ut.  unlike months ago i am
not afraid of that at all.  this might make me happy BUT might be best
to have this easily vieable by everyone on this list.

how do i make a text file in the appropriate place?  (it would be a
Good Thing for me to know how to do this for othher reasons besides my
wiki-like requirment).

I have been wanting a wiki.  That will work much better than the stupid
task tracking boondogle that nongnu-savanah-whatever has.

Granted.  ;-)