heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: 3 ratings at a time

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: 3 ratings at a time
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:52:23 +0530

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:36 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> This is the most important question of this email:
>
> Joshua in your goal study, you believe that a goal pair corresponds to an
> emotion or at least some kinda affective state, is that correct?

Not an OCC emotion.  Perhaps a goal pair corresponds to an affective
state.  However, the term "affective state" is not very specific.

My preference is to emphasize that goals are a necessary component of
any theory of emotion similar to the way that you emphasize in your
dissertation that goal substitution is probably an important ingredient
of any theory of emotion.

> E.g. a goal/goal state corresponds to what some might call a win/win.

Yes.

However, goal/goal is not specific enough because it remains to be
determined whether the two goals can both be satisfied or whether they
are mutually exclusive.

The Jack and Jill story is probably win-win.  However, imagine a
different story.  Suppose Jack and Jill are trying to reach the top of
the hill first.  Either Jack or Jill can reach the top (Goal/Goal), but
they both can't reach the exact top at the same time.

Whether the two goals of goal/goal situations are mutually exclusive is
a likely branch in the goal pair taxonomy.  Are you with me?

> These affective states are sort of like the OCC Concern for Other's
> states.  Is that right?

Yes .. fortunes of other.

>   The difference between the OCC affective
> states and your is twofold.  (1) there are 4 concern for other's
> emotions in OCC but you have 9 possible goal-pair states.

Yes, because OCC doesn't have anything like a NoGoal (or a Don't Care)
state.

>   (2) Ortony's
> states simply involve a focusing on the outcomes of another agent.
> Your states involve the simultaneous focusing in on of one's own goal
> state plus some other persons goal state.  Is this correct?

Yes, and another difference is that OCC looks at outcomes whereas I am
looking at goals prior to any outcome.

> By the way there is a bug -- when goto e.g. JoshuaGoalBabyPilot and make a
> change and then hit save, all is well.  But then when I go to hit edit
> again it gives me a URL not found kind of error.  So, I click on home and
> I get the same kind of error.  So, then I point my browser to "home" via
> my ohl wiki bookmark.  Then I can (and here is the workaround for the bug)

OK, when I get some time then I'll move the wiki back to where it was
working without bugs.  Sorry for all these hiccups.

> The 9 possible Goal Pairs Are Listed Below.  Examples are given in
> selected cases.

Sure, this is basically the goal of my study -- to gather believable
examples of each combination of goals.

> > In the same way that OCC proposes a taxonomy of emotions, I aim to
> > assemble a taxonomy of goal pairs.  Moreover, the approach I am taking
> > is falsifiable in contrast with the OCC theorizing approach.  My null
> > hypothesis is that there won't be any recognizable pattern with respect
> > to the stories corresponding to a particular goal pair category.
>
> I am having trouble groking the last sentence.
>
> The null hypothesis is psychology stats lingo for the hypothessis that
> must be rejected by data gathering.  If the null hypothesis (or no sig
> differences) is found to be rejectable, then our best interpresttaion is
> the "original" hypothesis.  My friend Deepa, now in Bombay, would be able
> to word/explain this better.

It sounds like you are complaining about the way I formed the sentence
even though the meaning of the sentence is basically OK.  For what it's
worth, I re-read the discussion of null hypothesis on wikipedia.

> I have put many apsects of ths discussion below on the wiki.
>
> Can you verify that what I have added to the wiki is correct?

Looks good.

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
 (Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)