heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: 3 ratings at a time

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: 3 ratings at a time
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:01:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:52 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
The new way of doing things for the stories - 3 ratings at a time: it
looks terrific!!!

Good.  I wasn't sure if the layout was going to work for people.

I tried a few and discovered no bugs.

Knock on wood.  ;-)

Now, I still don't quite get what you are trying to figure out with this
jack and jill business.

First of all the language needs to be cleaned up.  "she wants the pale of
water for herself." makes it sound like she may be a selfish brat.  just
say, "she wants a pale of water." or "she wants to fetch a pale of water."

I wrote it that way because I want to be specific about _whose_ goal is
under consideration.If Jill wants to get a pale of water for Jack then
Jill doesn't have a selfish goal (No Goal) WRT the pale of water,
however, Jill does believe that Jack wants a pale of water.

Are you with me?

I don't know.

Suppose, Jill wants water for herself.  Therfore she is goal wrt
water for herself.  She is no goal with respect to water for Jack.

New scenario.  Suppose Jill wants water for Jack.  Therefore
she is no goal wrt water for herself.  She is goal with respect
to water for Jack.

Is this correct?  In what way is it corret/incorrect.

If the above is correct, then I am at least sorta with you.
If the above is incorrect then I am not with you.

maybe what you are trying to do is figure out a theory of what goals
and anti goals people have/do not have?

Yes, a taxonomy.

A taxnomny? To me a taxonomy is a hierarchical tree shaped data struture. What might the tree look like?

  if so, lets try to come up
with a more compelling story/goal pairing than jack and jill with the goal
"fetch pale of water."  i mean if not, how do you respond to the
critique that this is study of obviousness?

Login and click on "Browse Stories".

it looks pretty cool!

This is the taxonomy of the goal
pairs collected so far.

It looks like a 3 X 3 matrix or table to me.  Not a taxonmy.

What is not obvious is which stories will fill
in the rest of the boxes.  There are nine boxes and only two have
examples.

What examples?  What are the 9 boxes. What does Goal/Goal = 0.21 mean?
What does Goal/No Goal = 0.36 mean?  I clicked on 0.21 and got
the same story as when I clicked on 0.36.

A goal of my study is to find examples for all combinations of goal
pairs.

"jack wants jill to be his girlfriend."
"jack is thirsty."

...is this where you are going????

Uh, I'm not sure.  See "Browse Stories"

I did.  I am still confused.

You really really need to send a description of your research
question and/or hypothesis.

If I send what I have written so far, you'll look at it and stick out
your tongue and say "Ick."  Give me more time to polish it up.  ;-)

Oh Joshua, that would be terrible feedback. Feedback should be constuctive. It should say what is good and what is bad and say
how to make the bad better.  I always strive to give feedback
that meets those requirements.

Just send me a three sentence blurb.

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)