Re: parse tree

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: parse tree
Date: 19 Apr 2002 10:00:11 +0200

>>>>> "Aurelian" == Aurelian Melinte <address@hidden> writes:

Aurelian> The other way I thought of, let bison do it and this way it
Aurelian> will be there for every grammar.

I tend to agree with your deisre, but LALR(1) does not seem to be the
proper framework for this: you are obliged to write contrived
grammars, which would result in ugly AST (IMHO).

For instance, I would certainly not want Bison to create AST::If and
AST::IfElse: I would like to have only AST::IfElse, with the else
member reduced to nop when it is missing.  And so forth.

Also, `(' and `)' play no role in the AST.

So, the idea is very interesting, agreed.  Nevertheless, I'm not sure
that Bison is the proper framework for this.

In any case, there's a lot of preliminary work to do before starting,
precisely to tackle the problems above.