help-flex

Re: Flex vs. POSIX 1003.2-1992 repeat operator {} precedence

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: Flex vs. POSIX 1003.2-1992 repeat operator {} precedence
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:42:09 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Hans Aberg wrote:

> >practice among GNU utilities for doing this on a rather global scale.
[...]

> Even though Flex ain't GNU. :-)

I know. I'd have written "among the other GNU utilities" up there if it
were.

But even for a project not part of the GNU effort, there's sometimes a
thing or two to be learnt from their experience.  And of course, unlike
POSIX and other standards, we're at full liberty to completely or
selectively ignore those parts of GNU coding standard we don't like.
POSIXLY_CORRECT, IMHO, is one of their cleverer ideas, because those
who would insist on 100% POSIX conformance are likely to want it all
across the place.

IOW, if option "--posix" becomes a reality, POSIXLY_CORRECT should
probably cause it to be turned on automatically.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)