Re: [Help-glpk] R GLPK no memory available

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] R GLPK no memory available
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:14:29 +0300

> I am using the R binding for GLPK (i.e. library("glpk")) so solve a rather
> large LP. By large I mean that around 1 million coefficients and approx
> same number of constraints. The program starts off quite okay and goes on
> for a while and then ends up with the following error;
>
>  umalloc: size = 166550392; no memory available
>
> Wha seems t be the problem here? If its inufficient memory then is there
> some way to allow more memory usage?

This message means that some glpk routine attempted to allocate a memory
block of 166.6 Mb long, however, the attempt failed (i.e. malloc
returned NULL).

> Searchign web for this didnt lead to any useful solution.
>
> When tried with a subset, I got the solution.
>
> My machine confguration is;
>
> R 2.11.1 (64 bit)
> R GLPK library 4.8-0.5
> 4GB RAM
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.

Probably you have insufficient memory. Or it may happen because of
memory leak (not in glpk!).

Please note that the version 4.8 you are using is too old (it was
released in 2005). This version doesn't have a feature to work properly
on 64-bit platforms in the sense that it cannot use more than 4Gb of the
main core.

See also
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2008-07/msg00044.html
for some calculations about memory usage in glpk.