Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Multithreading/parallelization
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:54:49 -0600

A lot of later responses have been focused on the multi-threading issues from a
data structure viewpoint.

Yet to speed up a single, large, linear program, I would think that the
discussion would have been on the use of multiple cores to speed up the
factorization, pricing and other components of the simplex algorithm.

Googling "parallel simplex algorithm" gives some papers on attempts to speed up
the simplex algorithm (e.g., http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/hall/HEG10/HEG10.pdf)

The general message seems to be that parallelization of LU factorization is
difficult.  The pricing part is trivial to parallelize.  There are other
possibilities listed (such as task parallelism).

Parallelization within the MIP branch and bound and parallelization of interior
point algorithms have been done successfully.  Not sure how true it is for the
simplex.  Does anyone have experience or knowledge of speeding up the simplex
using multi-cores?